Metal Expansion Joints and Metallic Compensators
What are the Metal Expansion Joint and Metallic Compensators?
Metal expansion joints and metallic compensators are leading technology components with a high responsibility in the process line. In normal operation conditions, the metal expansion joint gets to absorb different displacements and dilations, pressures, temperatures, vibrations, among others.
We could define metal expansion joints and metallic compensators as flexible components intended to the piping of fluids, that ensure the protection of the system.
Means to control the thermal expansion by the use of metal expansion joints and metallic compensators
Due to the phenomenon of the thermal expansion, the size of any component, and particularly the size of the metallic ones (very commonly used in the industry), differ meaningfully due to the thermal differences. Therefore, unless the flexibility of the assembly can get improved to absorb the expansion, the equipment or the anchor points must support important external loads.
There are different ways to control the thermal expansions in the pipings. However, most of the expert would rather use metal expansion joints and metallic compnesators due to their flexibility, that allows them to absorb displacements in any of the axis and avoid the great spaces taken up by the flexible lines.
Metal Expansion Joints ans Metallic Compensators Movements
Axial movement is the change in dimensional length of the bellows from its free length in a parallel direction to its longitudinal axis
Angular movement is the rotational displacement of the longitudinal axis of the bellows towards a point of rotation
Lateral movement is the relative displacement of one end of the bellows to the other end in a perpendicular direction to its longitudinal axis.
Advantages of Metal Expansion Joints and Metallic Compensators
- Minimum installation cost.
- Low installation space required.
- Do not imply pressure drops increasing.
- Minimum operation costs due to energy loss or isolation.
No maintenance required.
- Their inherent flexibility allows to absorb movements in multiple directions.
Applications of Metal Expansion Joints and Metallic Compensators
- Absorption of axial, angular or lateral displacements in pipes due to changes of temperature, earthquakes, subsidence, dynamic systems, etc.
- Absorption of vibrations.
- Connection to elastic frames or fragile elements (pumps, furnaces, etc.)
- Vacuum installations.
- Absorption of movements caused by thermal dilations in welded components.
- Pipelines and exhaust systems in generator sets.
SACOME Metal Expansion Joints and Metallic Compensators
Single UnrestrainedSingle Unrestrained Metal Expansion Joints
Universal TiedUniversal Tied Metal Expansion Joint
Double HingedUniversal expansion joint for lateral and angular movements in one plane.
Single Tied Metal Expansion Joint